On May 18, HousingWire hosted its first HousingWine event — a virtual wine-tasting and panel discussion focused on mortgage and fintech corporate strategy, M&A, innovation, and growth strategies.
Panelists included Kenon Chen, EVP of corporate strategy at Clear Capital; John Guzzo, managing director at Berkery Noyes; and Jason White, managing director of mergers and acquisitions at Berkery Noyes.
Watch the panel discussion to hear their thoughts and insights on how COVID-19 is impacting fintech strategies, and how those strategies impact mortgage and real estate clients.
As the event name denotes, the panelists sampled The Prisoner Wine Company’s The Prisoner while they discussed these topics.
Questions discussed included:
- What has the mortgage origination volume trends looked like?
- How are shifts in the market impacting the way you work with clients? Are policy changes from FHFA or others driving any of these changes with the way you work with your clients?
- How is the overall M&A landscape holding up over COVID-19?
- With some of the strength we’re seeing on the origination side of the business, what do you anticipate for Q2 through the end of the year for M&A and fintech?
- Between liquidity crunch and ops overwhelmed, are you finding lender clients able to implement new technology? And what does that do to fintech firms with low adoption/install bases?
- What is the differentiating factor that separates companies from either gaining market share or losing ground during the COVID-19 environment?
How has Clear Capital’s strategy changed due to COVID-19?
During this crisis, Clear Capital’s strategy included adapting our current technology in order to provide solutions that help the lending process and appraisals continue during this crisis. We launched a free homeowner inspection tool, OwnerInsight, designed to provide appraisers with flexibility and enable mortgage processes to move forward in a compliant way while limiting in-person interaction. To see how it works, we encourage you to go try OwnerInsight on your own property for free!